Over the first half of the year, 79 office leases and 18 office building sales over 15,000 square feet have demonstrated an increase in the number of transactions in Prince George’s County.
By Dave Wills
The volume of sales transactions, eight of which were investment purchases, averaged $84.93 per square foot, or a total of $55,787,949. The office leases, totaling 300,962 square feet, were term extensions or expansions of existing leases 45% of the time. Starting rents averaged $23.20/SF with full service terms. Rents usually included some remodeling or interior office construction. There were five executed leases that exceeded 10,000 square feet totaling 134,564 square feet with terms averaging five years. Below are the top three commercial property sales and the top three business office leases in the county that were executed by mid-2016.
- Metro Plaza (Metro East) – 8100-8300 Professional Place, Landover:
A four-building office property totaling 175,717 square feet was sold on May 6, 2016 for $13.175 million ($74.98/SF). The buildings were 75% leased at the time of sale. Market lease rates were $21.95/SF full service for comparable buildings in the Landover submarket.
- Corporate Plaza (Metro East) – 8200-8400 Corporate Drive, Landover:
A three-building office property totaling 179,062 square feet was sold on June 14, 2016 for $14.6 million ($81.54/SF). The buildings were 82% leased at the time of sale. Market lease rates were $21.95/SF full service for comparable buildings in the Landover submarket. The Metro East buildings are located near the intersection of the Capital Beltway (I-495) and Route 50. They are within walking distance of the New Carrollton transit station.
- Triangle Centre – 6401 Golden Triangle Drive, Greenbelt:
A four-story, 80,454 SF office building was sold on June 2, 2016 for $4 million ($49.72/SF). The building was 44.7% leased at the time of sale. The building is brick construction and includes interior/exterior structured parking. Market lease rates were $21.87/SF full service for comparable buildings in the Greenbelt submarket. The building is located near the intersection of Greenbelt Road and Kenilworth Avenue, with direct access to the Capital Beltway.
- In the first quarter of 2016, ATA Aerospace leased approximately 12,000 square feet at Maryland Trade Center II, 7474 Greenway Center Drive, Greenbelt. The space will be used for a NASA contract along with ASRC Federal Space and Defense.
- Fluor Enterprises leased approximately 44,000 square feet at 6801-6811 Kenilworth Avenue in the Calvert Metro Park, Riverdale. Fluor Enterprises will be working on WMATA’s Purple Line, which is scheduled to be completed in 2022. The Purple Line is a 16-mile light rail line that will extend from Montgomery County through College Park and onto New Carrollton in Prince George’s County.
- 2U, Inc., a software company, has signed a lease for approximately 252,950 square feet at 4900 Harkins Road in Lanham. They will be relocating from nearby 8201 Corporate Drive in Landover, vacating approximately 80,000 square feet. The move is scheduled for the 2nd quarter 2017.
VIEW NAI MICHAEL’S FULL 2016 MID-YEAR OFFICE MARKET REPORT
How Can We Help You?
NAI Michael is a full-service commercial real estate firm located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. We have been providing brokerage, property management, and development consulting services for over 40 years.